- Construction Defect
- Family Law
- Personal Injury/Torts
- Professional Liability
Hon. Harlan R. Bockman is well known and highly respected throughout the Colorado legal community from having presided as a trial judge in the 17th Judicial District since 1976. He has served as Chief Judge of the district since 1991. During his over 30 years on the bench he presided over a great variety of cases.
Judge Bockman has been a faculty member for the New Judge training in Colorado for a number of years. He has been a presenter for Colorado Bar Association programs including probate and legal malpractice. He has instituted an early evaluation program for divorces in the district. He was instrumental in the development and implementation of Civil Rule 16.1.
ADR Experience and Qualifications
- Judge Bockman possesses a rare balance between knowledge of the law and of people and their needs. Over the years he has handled a number of domestic and civil mediation/settlement conferences. His approach to mediation is one of reason and common sense. Judge Bockman is committed to assuring each person that his or her issues have been heard. His approach is to work diligently to reach a clear settlement, the terms of which are understood by all participants.
- Mediation and Arbitration allows parties to be heard and express their issues in an open, more relaxed setting. Those who have disputes before Judge Bockman are treated with dignity, respect, and fairness. As an arbiter, backed by his experience, Judge Bockman strives to achieve rulings that are fair, clear, and legally sound.
- Colorado Judicial Institute Judicial Excellence Award, 2003
- Judicial Excellence Award, The American Board of Trial Advocates Colorado Chapter, 2001
- Denver Business Journal Who’s Who in the Law, 1992
- Past Chairman, Supreme Court Committee on Multi-District Litigation
- Past Chairman, Supreme Court Committee on Criminal Jury Instructions
- Member, Supreme Court Subcommittee on Rules of Evidence
- Past Chairman, Supreme Court Committee on Guardian Ad Litem legislative modifications
- Past President, Adams County Bar Association
- Past President, Doyle’s Inn American Inns of Court
- Member, Adams County Community Corrections Board
- Contributor, Colorado Civil Procedure Forms and Commentary
- Background and Education
- Chief Judge, 17th Judicial District, Colorado, 1991-2008
- District Court Judge, 17th Judicial District, Colorado, 1976-2008
- Adams County District Attorney’s Office, 1963-1976
- LL.B., University of Colorado School of Law, 1963
- B.A., University of Colorado, 1960
This page is for general information purposes. JAMS Denver makes no representations or warranties regarding its accuracy or completeness. Interested persons should conduct their own research regarding information on this website before deciding to use JAMS Denver, including investigation and research of JAMS Denver neutrals.